I’m working on a project right now, providing a SnapVault target for our “big” NetApp. So we moved our 3240 to it’s target location, I spent most of my time yesterday doing the cabling (SAS and ACP, as well as power).
I’m still not finished, I still need to “beautify” the power cables, need to fix the network cables (currently I don’t have none ….) and some other minor stuff. But lemme skip back a bit.
The 3240 initially had only two shelfs, one with the ID 10 and the other with the ID 50. When reimplementing the thing, I wanted to do two things:
- Make the shelfs “proper” (i.e. adjacent shelf IDs)
- Make sure it’s done right
So, I ended up googling the topic (or rather NetApping, since the NOW page isn’t being indexed), and found a NetApp Community post. As I already did a complete wipe/cleanconfig of both filers, I was left with this:
- Halt both controllers (don’t power them off!)
- Change the shelf ID using the front panel of the DS4243
- Power-cycle each shelf
- Wait at least 30 seconds
- Boot both controllers
And that actually did it, my HA controllers are up and running, with the new shelf ID’s.