SIL 3114 barfing

Well, after I had so much trouble with the USB converter (which isn’t really suited for Linux), I went ahead and bought a DawiControl DC-154 (which is using a SIL3114) controller to migrate my stuff.

After fucking up the new RAID array with the 1TB disks on the old controller (luckily I had the old hard disks still lying around, which still contained the RAID array), I plugged the 1TB disks onto the new controller and started building the array. So after 760 minutes (that’s nearly 13 hours) of synchronizing the newly created array, I was finally able to create the file system — that should be without trouble, right ?

Well, yeah … it was … So I started putting the data on the newly created array (using rsync). Only problem: something seems to be corrupting data (as in EXT3 is barfing up a lot of file system errors).

(fsck.ext3 is returning much, much more ..)

After putting the blame on EXT3, I tried out reiserfs (yeah, yeah I know .. baaaad idea). Well, at first it didn’t put out any errors, but running fsck.reiserfs turned up errors that looked a lot like the ones fsck.ext3 returned.

Then, I started looking at the array size (since I was curious), and it said the new array on four 1TB disks is ~760GB. Now according to my improper math, using 4* 1000GB drives the total usable amount of disk space should be something like 2793.96GB, and not ~760GB. *shrug*

I’m out of idea’s right now, and I’m gonna wait till January till I do anything else.

2 thoughts to “SIL 3114 barfing”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

I accept that my given data and my IP address is sent to a server in the USA only for the purpose of spam prevention through the Akismet program.More information on Akismet and GDPR.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.